when I was younger I used to hang out with this friend of mine, who had this deepest connection with long distance running. Every morning she would get up at 5 and run around 5-6 miles. It gave me hope, the fact that she could do it so religiously and maybe I can do the same with some other activity some day. However due to her changed academic schedule she had to change her running schedule from early in the morning to the evening. This meant her obsession was beginning to pose a problem for my interaction with her, since we usually met during the evenings. So once in a while I would try to convince her to not run that evening and spend time with me instead. She was relentless with her running and always chose it as opposed to spending time with me. I never understood why she would choose an activity like running over me and I was deeply hurt by the preference order that she excercised. I got over it eventually but never really understood why.
So what has this got to do with Murakami's book. Well when I read the book I really understood the mentality of a long distance runner and how much running is part of their personality, rather how running is a part of them and almost inseperable from their life. I suddenly have a new found understanding about a class of people. I rate it above 4/5.
In all it was a nice book to read. Especially if you are a runner I am sure you will encounter episodes of dejavu on a thought-level.
So for the ones who BOX people, some statistical truths(my hypothesis, I am warning you!).
Long distance runners(who are product of training regimens and not naturally gifted) are scared of competition. They usually prefer careers and education that does not imply competition.
Criticism is welcome on the hypothesis.If YOU Mr.Reader has the attribute "Long distance Runner",
Do you like to compete with others?
Would you take up a career like Investment Banking?
Are you insecure?
- Ramesh Nidadavolu
- Mumbai / Hyderabad, India
- This is not my life. Sab Phictional hain bhailog.
Ben Franklin - Notes
About Me
Junta ki adalat
Powered by Blogger Widgets
