Chapter1- Part6
I am done with my chai and there are no signs of Mr.Nawab Sahebs arrival anytime soon. I glance at my mobile phone to see if there are any SMS's. There are none. I decide to get back to reading the newspaper. In the meanwhile, a guy who seems to be in his late 20's, enters the smoking room and asks me if he can join me. I decide to let him occupy the unused half of the table, but before I convey my benevolence, he just drags a chair and seats himself. Damn! I do not feel benevolent any more. Accustomed to these ways by now, I try to get back to the newspaper, the finance column - to be particular. I start reading an article on the American Prezs, Mr.Bhama, intentions to tighten the laws of the land. I think its a good thing. America can use a wee bit more conservatism. When I was on a trip to the States sometime back, I felt uncomfortable and disgusted when I saw Americans coy around in public. However, since I was on a business trip I decided to not judge them as humans but treat them as ATMs that dole out more than my team is worth. I think, like the financial markets which have periods of boom and bust, liberal attitudes also undergo a process of boom and bust. For instance - Victorian times, suppression of gay rights/ oppression of blacks in America, Usury as a crime in Europe were ideas that were not so long ago considered the norm and were acceptable in the western world. This was followed by a boom of liberal ideas in the last century where the opposite ideas gained strength and acceptance. So I will stick to conservatism even though with a lot of training and programming I can train myself to be more liberal. I believe conservatism will be back with a bang. Conservatism, Will it be the new in thing?
A few moments later, I raise my head out of curiosity to check on my temporary companion. The guy puffs out one of those smoke rings, smiles at me, indicating that he would like to have a conversation. At least, that is what I think he implied.
I carefully fold the newspaper back to its original arrangement and stare at him, not knowing what we should converse about. He was dressed like one of those guys you see in popular tv programmes and Bollywood cinema, which increasingly features only NRI characters. I cannot figure out what we have in common to converse on. So, I let him initiate the conversation. After a few silent seconds, I sense that he faces a similar dilemma at his end too. Visibly uncomfortable, he starts talking about himself. He mentions that he is a DJ at a night-club, has been trying to quit cigarettes, loves this place, likes rap music etc. I wonder what a DJ is? More work for my analyst once I get back to the office. As he continues to rant, his words get thinned by the music and the noise prevalent in the room. A few short moments later I can see his lips move, but hear only white noise. Its like I have traded my hearing ability in exchange for the some enhanced pondering capabilities.
I realize the uniqueness of the situation. I usually feel uncomfortable when I talk to any of these MTV dude types. But this time around there is something about this young chap that does not make me feel so. But then I realize he is out of his mind, doped, not judgmental and nice. That explained the new found acceptance for me. Maybe we all need a few more joints. Damn! Whats wrong with me, why am I am I shedding my conservative skin. You see education is evil. You cannot learn and yet be conservative. Is it because all the books/ content that passes off as educational content, mainly being produced in the States? Or is liberalism the natural tendency of our race and conservativeness being the rational choice. Tough questions. I have pondered over them for a long time now, without getting any answers. But what is the worth of an unexamined life, after all.
I slip back in to reality by ripping apart the sheets of thoughts that seem to have encapsulated me in them. The doped guy is still ranting about godknowswhat. I just nod, with a poker face on ,communicating acceptance to his point of view on godknowswhat. He seems to be glad with me and retorts with 'Youre cool man!' and gives me his visiting card. It reads :-
Yo!
Ragz
Dope DJ for Rave Parties!!!!!
trinnngggg:- 9989912287
I cant make too much sense of his business card. I do not try to think about it.
Paisa kama liya but ....
to be continued....

